Month: March 2019

Ryu holds off Choi to break LPGA drought

South Korea’s Ryu So-Yeon held off compatriot Choi Na-Yeon on Sunday to capture the Canadian Women’s Open, snapping an LPGA win drought of more than two years.

南宁桑拿

Ninth-ranked Ryu, the 2011 US Women’s Open champion whose only other prior LPGA crown came at the 2012 Toledo Classic, matched the season-low LPGA 72-hole total of 23-under par, finishing on 265 to defeat Choi by two shots.

Ryu fired a final-round 69, three-under par, to collect a wire-to-wire triumph but only after Choi closed within one stroke with three holes to play. A final six-foot birdie putt at 16 produced Ryu’s final margin of victory.

“I did trust myself,” Ryu said. “I didn’t care about anybody else. I focused on my game. I wasn’t playing my best game on the back nine but I just kept through it.

“Hole 16 was a really big hole. I was sure if I made (the birdie putt) I was going to win it. I was really happy I made it.”

Ryu, 24, had 27 top-10 finishes since her prior victory, 10 of them last season and nine more this year.

Ryu, who will jump from ninth to fifth in the world rankings as a result of the victory, shattered the tournament record low score by five shots.

World No.2 Park In-Bee, the South Korean star who captured her fifth career major title at last week’s LPGA Championship, was third on 270 with spain’s Azahara Munoz fourth, another stroke adrift.

Karrie Webb was the best of the Australians in a share of 13th on 278.

Park was the first to win at 23-under this season, taking the title at Waterloo, Canada.

All three of Ryu’s victories have come when she led or shared the lead after 54 holes.

Choi sank a 15-foot birdie putt at 15 and Ryu missed a six-foot par putt seconds later on the way to a bogey that trimmed her lead over Choi to one stroke with three holes to play.

New Zealand teen star Lydia Ko, the 2012 and 2013 Canadian Women’s Open winner as an amateur, opened with a triple bogey and made four bogeys in a row starting at the third hole on her way to a 76 Sunday to finish in a share 55th on 287.

California winemakers count quake cost

Winemakers in California’s storied Napa Valley woke up to thousands of broken bottles and barrels as a result of the earthquake.

南宁桑拿

The earthquake couldn’t have come at a worse time for the region, which has just started harvesting the 2014 crop.

“It’s devastating. I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Tom Montgomery, a winemaker for B.R. Cohn Winery in Glen Ellen, California.

The epicentre of the 6.0-magnitude earthquake that struck Northern California, the strongest in the area in 25 years, was just six 10 kilometres southwest of Napa, California, the centre of California’s winemaking region.

B.R. Cohn lost “as much as 50 per cent” of its wine, Montgomery said. The winery focuses on high-end, single estate wines that retail between $US40 ($A43.30) and $US100 ($A108.20) a bottle.

“It’s not just good wine we lost, it’s our best wine,” he said.

At Dahl Vineyards in Yountville, California, a rack full of wine barrels was teetering and in danger of coming down.

One barrel containing $US16,000 worth of pinot noir fell and was lost as a result of the quake.

The owners were trying to save the rest, removing the barrels with a forklift.

Elsewhere in the region, red wine stains were visible outside the doors of a warehouse – indicating there was damage inside.

Other wineries reported more modest damage.

In Oakville, Silver Oak Winery lost “a couple hundred bottles” of wine, said Ian Leggat, a spokesman for Silver Oak, as well as three barrels full of wine.

Most of the product damaged at Silver Oak was single-vineyard wines the winery uses for testing. None of the wines sold to consumers were damaged in the quake, Leggat said.

Even the wine in barrels that wasn’t damaged by the quake may have problems, however, because wines aging in barrels are supposed to be kept as still as possible, Montgomery said.

Napa is California’s best-known winemaking region. While it produces only four per cent of California’s total wine crop, Napa’s wines are considered among the best in the world and sell for a premium price.

The Napa Valley does $US50 billion in economic activity a year, or roughly a quarter of wine industry for the entire US, according to Napa Valley Vinters.

The earthquake adds to what has already been a difficult year for California winemakers.

California is in the middle of its worst drought in decades, and the earthquake comes just as winemakers in the region are getting ready to harvest the 2014 crop.

Winemakers were reporting modest damage to equipment, which could affect harvesting.

Iceland ends ban on flights over volcano

Iceland has removed a ban on air traffic around the nation’s largest volcanic system after fears of an imminent eruption subsided.

南宁桑拿

The Icelandic Met Office said there had not been a small, subglacial eruption on Saturday, as previously announced, and lowered the alert over the Bardarbunga volcano from red to orange.

“Presently there are no signs of ongoing volcanic activity,” the IMO said on its website.

A major explosion at the Bardarbunga volcano, located under a glacier, could signal a replay of the global travel chaos triggered when another Icelandic peak blew four years ago, creating a massive ash cloud across Europe.

The red alert level put in place on Saturday led to the closure of airspace in the affected area, although all airports in the country remained opened.

“All restrictions on aviation have been cancelled,” Icelandic police said in a statement.

Seismic activity remains high in the area, with more than 700 tremors recorded during the night.

Early on Sunday, the strongest earthquakes of the current seismic cycle shook Bardarbunga.

They were listed on the Met Office’s website with intensities of 5.3 and 5.1 on the Richter scale, the highest registered in the area since 1996.

Earlier this week, authorities evacuated tourists and hikers from the area around the volcano, which remained closed on Sunday afternoon, according to the police.

The eruption of Eyjafjoell, a smaller volcano, in April 2010 caused travel mayhem, stranding more than eight million people in the widest airspace shutdown since World War II.

Iceland’s most active sub-glacial volcano Grimsvotn erupted in 2011, forcing the country to temporarily shut its airspace and sparking fears of a repeat of the Eyjafjoell flight chaos.

Iceland is home to more than 100 volcanic mountains, some of which are among the most active in the world.

Algeria striker dies after hit by rock

A player has died of a head injury after being hit by a rock apparently thrown by his own fans at a top-flight league game in Algeria.

南宁桑拿

Albert Ebosse, a striker from Cameroon, died in the hospital on Saturday night after being hit as players left the field following a 2-1 loss for his club, JS Kabylie.

Ebosse had scored his side’s equaliser from a penalty in Saturday’s game before they went on to lose 2-1 at home to USM Alger in the northern city of Tizi Ouzou.

A police investigation will be opened into his death, the Confederation of African Football and the player’s club said on Sunday.

Ebosse, 24 and the leading goal-scorer in the Algerian league last season, was apparently hit by the rock hurled from a section of JS Kabylie supporters angry at their team’s loss.

Ebosse was struck as players walked off after the game as fans began throwing rocks at them. He was taken to the hospital around 500 metres from the stadium, where he died.

“We expect exemplary sanctions to be taken against this grave act of violence,” Issa Hayatou, the president of the African confederation, said in a statement on Sunday.

Algeria’s interior ministry ordered that a police investigation be opened into Ebosse’s death, JS Kabylie said in a statement on the club’s website.

Ebosse “succumbed to a head injury,” JS Kabylie said. There were no immediate reports of any other players being hurt.

The president of Algeria’s professional league, Mahfoud Kerbadj, said he left the game minutes before the incident.

“I am still finding this tragic death hard to grasp because I was at the stadium just minutes before this tragic incident, and Albert Ebosse was still running in all senses of the word before my eyes,” he said.

The Algeria Football Federation and the professional league both ordered emergency meetings over the player’s death.

The stadium where the incident took place was closed until further notice.

Algeria Football Federation president Mohamed Raouraoua said he hoped that “the perpetrators of this unspeakable act are severely punished”.

Ebosse joined JS Kabylie last year and became an immediate success, scoring 17 goals last season as his team finished second to USM Alger, the opponents on Sunday, in Algeria’s top league. USM Alger also offered its condolences.

“This terrible news is saddening for football in our nation and in Cameroon and arrives like a bombshell,” USM Alger said.

Ebosse’s body was transferred to a military hospital in preparation for it to be flown home to Cameroon, his club said.

Barca made errors over youth transfers says president

FIFA upheld a decision last Wednesday to sanction the Catalan club for breaching rules on the international transfer of under-18 players and it means they now cannot register players in the next January and July-August 2015 windows.

南宁桑拿

The initial ban was suspended pending Barca’s failed appeal, allowing the likes of Luis Suarez to be brought in during this window, but Bartomeu said they will now take the fight to get the penalty reduced to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

“We were conscious that the ban was going to be ratified because we have committed some errors,” he told Spanish television.

“We will go to CAS. We are going to work on a good defence so that in the coming months the situation can be resolved more favourably for us.

“We have a few weeks to send our motives for wanting to have the ban reduced. Often these cases end up with CAS. We recognise that we have done things badly but the sanction is very heavy.”

The world governing body also rejected Barcelona’s appeal against a 450,000 Swiss francs ($493,637) fine and they have been given 90 days to regularise the situation of all the minor players concerned.

Uruguay striker Suarez led a long list of recruits during the close season and Barca have especially reinforced in defence after fortunately being able to sign players before the appeal was heard.

Bartomeu said they were covering themselves in case they cannot get the ban eased, with the remaining days of this window not counting in the sanction.

“We have planned the season thinking that we could be two transfer windows without making a signing,” he said.

“We have a B side with very strong players that can move up to the first team but we will see what happens with CAS and see what happens over the coming months.

“We think that the ban is out of proportion. We have signed a lot of players but we are still looking at the market and we have not closed the door on any more deals.”

(Editing by Mark Meadows; [email protected]广西桑拿,; +44 20 7542 7933; Reuters Messaging:; mark.meadows.reuters广西桑拿,@reuters南宁桑拿网,)